Hospital Stay

On Tuesday I was 34 weeks, 5 days and admitted to the hospital for preterm labor. Around 2:15 I started getting some cramps but didn't think too much of it. After a while of laying on my side (talking to Colleen on aim) it got worse and I started getting a lot of back pain as well. I followed the typical procedure of drinking water and laying on your left side for a while to see if the pain would subside- it didn't. An hour passed and I was still in pain and decided to call my OB's nurse to see if it was worth coming in. Since I have had no previous problems with my pregnancy so far they decided to tell me to come in to see if I was having contractions or not.

I left the house at about 4 pm and started the drive to the Recruiters office to wait for Sean to get done with something he had to do and then we would go to the hospital together. The drive there was AWFUL! The pain tripled in intensity while I was driving and I ended up crying because it hurt to bad. When I got to the office, Sean's Ssgt and Cpl were outside and came to say hi and realized I was crying and in a lot of pain and needed to go to the hospital NOW. Mike [sean's cpl and now a good friend of mine =) ] got in the car and drove me to the hospital, which was about 10 minutes away.

I got there and went straight to L&D, took a urine sample, changed into a gown, and was in bed hooked up to moniters so they could keep an eye on the baby's hearbeat and any contractions I was having. About 30 minutes later (and after me saying oww many many times) the nurse checked my cervix and how often I was having contractions. I was 1 cm and 60% effaced. In that 30 minutes I had had 10 contractions that were 2-3 minutes apart and lasting about a minute each. They ended up giving me a shot of Terbutaline to stop the contractions and that started to slow them down but they picked right back up and I continued having them. An hour later, I was given a second shot and had the same effect. Slowed down for a while, then start back up. After another hour, I was given a third shot, a pill for of Terbutaline, and I was hooked up to an IV to keep me hydrated. My contractions spaced out and weren't as intense but I was still having them. Around 7:45 they had me take another urine sample and it came back that I was still a little dehydrated so I was given a second bag of the IV. When that was finished, at around 9:45, I took a third urine sample (came back as hydrated) and was checked a second time to see if there was any change in my cervix. I was still 1 cm dialated and most likely still 60% effaced but she didn't tell me that so I don't know. Because I didn't have any change, they were going to send me home, yay! So around 10:15 I was given my discharge papers and was good to go!

I'm now on complete bedrest, only allowed to get up to go to the bathroom, until my OB tells me otherwise. I am still having contractions just not as frequent or painful as they were before, and chances are they aren't doing anything, but who really knows. I'll call my OB today so she can check up on me and see how the contractions are and then I can a regular 35 week appointment tomorrow as well.

I know a lot of you were praying for the 3 of us and I really appreciate it. It means the world to me! Both Sean and I are good, just exhausted from a long night of being there and Gunnar is as healthy as he can be- responding to ever contraction I had which is a good sign! I'll be sure to keep everyone updated as anything changes from now on since we're definitely getting closer to the big day!


Post a Comment