Did He Just Do That?

It seems like everyday Gunnar does something that completely catches me off guard. Not something bad, but something that I had no idea he could do. It amazes me the more and more he does it. I can't get over how much he learns just by watching and listening. It's almost scary... almost. I guess since he doesn't talk yet I didn't really expect him to communicate in other ways, even though every book and website says that late talkers get pretty creative with finding other ways to communicate their wants. Crying, whining, and fussing was all I saw... but there's more than that. He can certainly show and tell me in his own way what he wants and I didn't even realize it. Today was one of those "wow" days for me. I kept noticing little things that he does that I hadn't noticed before, or did notice but didn't think too much of it. I'm so incredibly proud of him and love him more and more each day. He's such a good little boy even though I have to tell him several many, times a day to not climb onto the fireplace.

So what was it that I noticed today, you ask?

Well let me tell you!

It all started with me asking him "Where's the birdie?" to which he responded by walking over to the bird's cage and pointing to it! I tried doggie but I guess were not quite there yet. He loves the bird more lol. I also asked him "Where are the planes?" and he pointed to the 3 plans that are hanging above his crib in his room. This one really amazed me because he just recently (last week maybe?) noticed them and started pointing to them. Every time he wakes up he has to point to them now lol. I also asked him where the fan is, and he pointed to the ceiling fan. He knows what his sippy cup is and will go get it when I ask among other "commands" such as these:
"Sit on your bottom"
"Lay down"
"Stand up"
"Bring me _____ (insert object here)" (this one is tricky as he doesn't always know what the object is)
"Close the cabinet" ... something I say at least 10 times a day
"Put that back"
"Gunnar, dance!"

All of these commands are followed by a "please" and "thank you" ... always. I can't even think of a time when I haven't said please or thank you. In addition to these he can point to his head, sometimes his belly (if you catch him when he's not distracted), he "helps" me get himself dressed and undressed by making whatever arm I need available and free of a toy, stepping in or out of pant legs, and giving me the foot I need to put on socks or shoes, and when I say "All done? Would you like out?" he'll start to get out of where ever he is (high chair he'll pull up and the tub he'll try to climb out).

I'm sure there's a ton more but these are the ones that came to my mind instantly. It's just crazy how much he's learned even though he isn't using words to talk; he's still able to fully understand everything that I say! It's mind blowing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment