Feeding My Toddler

In the past several months I've had several people (ok maybe only 2 or 3, but still...) ask me how I come up with so many different things to feed my child for lunch and snacks, as well as asking what some of those things are. I was going to write about this a while ago, but completely forgot. Thankfully, I read MckMama's post today and it reminded me so I thought I'd go ahead! Plus, today was my "prepare and store 'bites'" day.

If you're not familiar with what that means, I'll tell you. 2-3 times a week (usually 3), during nap time, I spend a good 30 minutes in the kitchen going through the things in the pantry and fridge and pulling out stuff that I plan on feeding G. With those, I cut them up/ slice them/ whatever and store them in tupperware that way, when lunch or snack time comes, I already have everything prepared and ready to serve. Just grab out of the pantry or fridge and put on a plate! I've discovered this not only keeps me sane, but it also keeps my child happy. See, G isn't one to wait for food. When he sees it being prepared he wants it immediately and will throw a fit if not given any. Doing this makes it so I can quickly feed him and shut him up  keep him happy. If you've never thought to do something like this, or even thought about it but haven't, I urge you to try it! It really saves me a lot of time and I don't even have to really think about what I'm going to feed him. This technique (if you want to call it that) is especially helpful for moms like myself that hardly feed their child(ren) processed or packaged food. Yes, my child gets graham crackers and goldfish but these are on occasion. He really only eats fresh food that require preparation. It makes me feel better about what's going into his tiny little body.




Now... how exactly do I come up with all the different things to feed him? Well, it's all about browsing! Luckily, I don't have a picky eater. Ok, so he doesn't like meat, but I wouldn't call that picky. He will gladly eat any veggie you put in front of him. Because of that, it's not too hard for me to find stuff to feed him. Going back to a previous point I made, I try to only feed him fresh food and healthy food. I never quite know what he's going to feel like eating that particular day, but I try it anyways. On Sundays, I prepare a list, like the one below, of foods that are quick, easy, healthy for him to eat, and that I know he likes. I keep this list with me and throughout the week if I get any ideas of other things to feed him I add them to the list for future use. There's so much food out there and you can't be afraid to let your child try them (unless of course there is an allergy or chance of an allergy). Your child might surprise you with what he'll eat!

Here's the things on my list this week:
raisins (or any dried fruit)
hard boiled eggs
grapes
oranges
pineapple
peanut butter
macaroni (organic)
tomatoes
lettuce
bell pepper
avocado
veggie fries
cucumber
zucchini
string cheese
dates
yogurt + granola

Keep in mind that these aren't the only things my child will eat this week. He'll probably get some goldfish or other crackers and dinner will be whatever my mother in law prepares. He ALWAYS eats what we eat (unless it's fish, I choose not to feed him any fish) for dinner.


This is what he had for lunch today: 1/2 hard boiled egg, a few grapes, several gold fish, oranges, lettuce and tomatoes, avocado, and ranch to dip.

Just get creative with it! It's actually kind of fun!


7 comments:

  1. Jess

    That all sounds yummy! Unfortunately, Raleigh wouldn't even touch most of that lol. It's sad, she's soo picky. Well not with her fruit, grains, or meat, just the veggies! She's getting better though. I like to buy the really tiny tupperware containers, that way the portions are already separated! But yeah, tupperware is a total lifesaver!

     
  2. Ashley

    I don't know how you feed her, or what or anything like that, since every parent is different, and I also don't know how you'd feel about this suggestion but this is what I do with Gunnar. I put his food in front of him, all healthy choices, and he can eat what he wants off the plate. If he doesn't want to eat anything, then doesn't have to eat then and can wait until the next snack or meal. If it's not dinner time, then I'll offer that same plate of food again. If a child is hungry, they'll eat what's in front of them and not be picky about it. The way I see it, if you only feed them what they choose to eat, then they'll always expect that and will reject everything else.

     
  3. Misty Smith

    so I'm stealing this idea and your list for this week, I feel horrible because I haven't been feeding keeley too healthy this week (she's eating a dorito right now)but this has shown me an easy way to do fresh fruits and veggies more thank you!

     
  4. Ashley

    Feel free to steal away Misty! I'm glad I could be of some help; that was the whole reason I made this post! You'll be really surprised how easy it actually is. And then you'll eat healthier too because if you're anything like me you'll start snacking on the stuff as well since it's already prepared!

     
  5. Cassie

    Ash, this is an awesome post. Thanks so much for making it because I have been stuck in such a rut with what I have been feeding Jackson and this will help me out a ton. I'm gonna steal several things from your list if you don't mind.

     
  6. Meggan ♥

    This is an awesome idea! I'm def. going to try this before the nibble tray. I do have one question though, what do you feed Gunnar for breakfast? Or do you offer him this stuff as breakfast?

     
  7. Ashley

    Meggan- I'll make a quick post about it because I'm sure others are curious as well =)

     

Post a Comment